1.30.2009

So today at the gym, I was running on the treadmill, like I hate to do. There are 10 treadmills at my neighborhood YMCA. I come from a long line of people that don't like the middle stalls in bathrooms, so the same rules apply to treadmills. However, I'm on number 5 as the others were full when I started. Over the next 20 minutes, they empty out and the cheese runs alone. A gentleman with black spandex pants and a black t shirt with the sleeves cut off hops on to the treadmill next to me. Of all the treadmills, he chooses the one next to me. So I'm a little weirded out, but whatever. Added bonus... his hair... a short mullet that is receding in the front.

He starts to run. After a minute or two he starts moving his arms in a weird way. No big deal, people move their arms when they run. Until he does it again. This time it's like he's playing the drums. It looks like he's playing the drums... because he is. So I smile, and keep running thinking "rock on dude. whatever works for you." One of my biggest fears is falling on the treadmill like all the youtube videos show. So I have no idea how he's running and rocking out at the same time.

Then he breaks out the air guitar. No lie. Air guitar.

So I imagine he is reenacting Journey's glorious video Separate Ways and I chuckle to myself, kind of envious that he's so comfortable with himself that he can air guitar while running and not care what others think. It made me want to play air piano just so I could be a part of the band.

At this point, Kelly Clarkson's new song has me running my tush off, but I can't run forever. I do my cool down and decide I'm gunna head over to the weight room. I get off the treadmill and walk in front of the treadmills towards the weight room past the dude that was next to me. And I wish I was making this part up... He was wearing a Journey concert t-shirt.

I will be at the gym tomorrow at the same time just incase Mr. Perry (as in Steve Perry) is there again. This time I hope he does Don't Stop Believin.


----------------
Now playing: Journey - Separate Ways
via FoxyTunes

True love won't desert you
You know I still love you
Though we touched
And went our separate ways

No comments: